Monday, August 17, 2015

Feedback on feedback


In my position at work, I'm constantly providing and receiving feedback. In fact, it's probably safe to say I am, like you, constantly in a feedback loop of some sort.

I recently attended a conference on leadership and one of the topics I found completely insightful was on feedback. The topic was presented in a way I had never even considered before.

In the context of leadership, feedback is omnipresent. It's everywhere. When an individual interacts with another, if you're paying attention, you'll both provide and receive feedback. We're creatures that leverage feedback in almost every aspect of life.

Think about a dog. If, while I'm writing this post, I blurt out "Do you want a treat?" Here's what will happen:

Meet Macie
That simple question will be met with ears up, tail going 800MPH, and ultimately a dog that will follow me to where the treats are - until one is delivered.

The dog doesn't know she's providing feedback. She doesn't know that in response to her feedback, people will comment on how incredibly cute she is and what an amazing little puppy she is. What she knows is that she heard the sound "treat" and her conditioned response to that sound is... physical feedback.

It's everywhere.

Feedback is everywhere, so I began thinking how I can apply the lessons I learned from this talk track in my life. The speaker had some really interesting points that I'll attempt to convey here:

1. Be aware when you're receiving feedback. 
2. In the feedback loop, it's the receiver of the feedback that's in charge. It's up the receiver to decide what he or she does with the feedback they've received. 
3. Be constructive. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to be gained by feedback that is always critical. If critical feedback is warranted, offer a solution - don't just whine.
4. Here's an interesting one: If you, as the receiver of feedback ignore it, you've still acted on it. 
5. Last, but certainly not the least of these: Consider the feedback you've received (or are giving). Are you receiving (or giving) feedback to someone or about something someone did?

That last one is a big one. Think about the last time you provided feedback on a person. Was it to that person, or was it about that person to someone else? If it was the latter - be honest - was it gossip?

There are a lot of things in this post that I relate to directly. It's definitely a growth area for me, and I'm committed to it. It's already helped me - and I hope it helps you.

Feedback welcome.

/finis

No comments: