Monday, November 11, 2019

Homelab: Update


I promised an update when the rework was complete, and here it is.

First, the rack and stack. This took a bit of time, and a bit of patience as I sourced the best deals on my favorite auction site. My patience paid off, and here's the finished product. From top down:

Ubiquiti UniFi USW-XG (16 port 10Gb ethernet)
AC Infinity sensor based intelligent fan
Ubiquiti UniFi USW-16 (18 port 1Gb ethernet)
Leviton commercial power conditioner
Dell EMC PowerEdge R620 x4
2014 Mac Mini (home media server)
Drobo 5c (connected to Mac) with 5x 1.5TB SSD
Drobo 5n (clients, vCenter backups) with 5x 8TB HDD

All of this is connected to my Ubiquiti UniFi based system. The only component of the network that is not UniFi is a SonicWall TZ350 just before my Comcast Business CPE.

This home lab is surprisingly quiet and consumes (again, surprisingly) much less power than I originally planned for or had available when I built it.

It's all virtualized using vSphere (of course), managed by vCenter and vRealize Log Insight (VMUG Advantage is awesome by the way), and I recently installed a TIG stack (Telegraf, InfluxDB and Grafana) to see what kind of metrics I could get out of it. Questions / comments welcome.





/finis







No comments: